Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oil Painting
















I think I have waited all my long life to oil paint. Yesterday I bought a starter kit with small tubes of oil, a canvas and a brush.
I set out on a mission to give it a try and used two very small canvases for my first ones: 4 x 5 inches.
They are valentines. One is I Want Your Heart and the other is I Have A Big Heart For You.
I find oil is not as bright (at least I haven't figured out How to make it bright) and it is fun to work with.
Only problem is it doesn't dry right away like acrylic paints...It has an old-fashioned look to it. I have to investigate the mediums that are used. I only had some turpenoid which is like turpentine without the smell. It thins it. I think I need some linseed oil to make it shinier.
What fun!

2 comments:

  1. They are fantastic! My grandmother did portraits in oil for a living and hers always seemed to have brightness when needed but I don't recall her using the really vivid colors either....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment...I definitely have some things to learn. Your grandmother "made a living" at it? Oh, what a dream! Guess your art runs in the bones...

    ReplyDelete