Sunday, October 11, 2009

She Burned


The store was really busy today. I work at Made In Ojai, a co-op of 35 artists. We have six jewelry makers and I traded one of my small paintings for a necklace I like. The small painting is pictured above. She was called Dragonfly Girl.
A week later the girl's house burned to the ground. The fire started at about 3 a.m. in Ojai not too far from the store. They lost almost everything. The family comprised Mom, Dad and 16-year-old son and they lost tools, musical instruments, pictures, furniture, most everything.
Judith, the mom, was able to salvage some kitchen stuff and a few photographs that were stuck together in a box. She found my painting, the frame and canvas still together, but the image completely black.
Someday I will paint her another painting...she deserves it!
And I continue to wear her necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment