Thursday, September 15, 2011

Witches on Broomsticks

A few years back I had a thing about witches on broomsticks. I painted several watercolor paintings of the subject.
This is one of my faves.
Halloween is ridiculous of course.
The first few years my grandson went out trick or treating with his mom you could tell how ridiculous it is.
He is a very intelligent boy and at two years old he didn't understand why you would dress up funny and go knock on your neighbors' doors with your hand out. Especially neighbors with whom you have had no contact whatsoever before and won't after.
We all went parading down the street and through the neighborhood doing this with him.
In one place there was a buried hand reaching out of the dirt. You should have seen the look on his face.
Now he is five years old and his mom will continue to dress him and take him out. She must have happy memories of doing it as a kid herself.
Of course I do approve of our traditions. What if they were forbidden or monitored closely? I wouldn't want that.
Seeing a clown running down the street or a ghost, especially the grown-ups going to parties, is great fun for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment